What is TPO Roofing?
Are you looking into getting TPO Roofing done? TPO is a thermoplastic polyolefin single-ply roof membrane that provides high resistance to ultraviolet, ozone, infrared and chemical exposure. This single-ply roof membrane consists of sheets of rubber and another synthesis that bonded together to form one large sheet. The width sizes of these sheets are 10 to 20 feet. Started in the early 80s, TPO roofing has become one of the fastest-growing roofing systems, not only in America but in the whole world. Especially, when more and more house owners are going for that simplistic and modern look.
The low cost and the life expectancy of 22 to 30 years, far more than the standard 15 years lifespan of other roofing systems made this more popular. During this time of 22 to 30 years, seams can get apart, flashings can fail, the membrane can become punctured, and it can have cracks that can possibly cause a roof leak. So the owners and landlords should care about the possible damage, the roof can have and they should call a trusted roofing company to repair the roof when the water has begun to enter the building or house.
You may need a commercial roofing contractor to perform a free roofing inspection if there appears to be any damage.
He will inspect for the following things and let you know about them:
- Age of TPO Roof
- Condition of roof
- From where your roof is cracked
- Where water is entering
- Cost for repairing
Types of Insulation for TPO Roof Installation
Now we are going to discuss the three types of insulation and will have a look for which will be the best for your roof.
Most commonly, there are three types of insulation in TPO Roofing System and these are:
- Polyisocyanurate (Polyiso)
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS)
- Extruded Polystyrene (XPS)
It is an insulation board made up of glass fiber reinforced cellulosic felt facer bonded to a core of isocyanurate foam. This insulation provides the following benefits:
- Convenient Size
- High Thermal Efficiency
- Fire Resistance
- Meet the requirements of Building Codes
- LEED Credits
- Environmental Friendliness
- Exceptional Service Temperature
- Excellent Dimensional Stability
White plastic sheet material made or produced from solid beads of polystyrene. This contains styrene (forms the cellular structure) and pentane (used as a blowing agent)
This inclusion provides the following benefits:
- Low thermal conductivity
- High mechanical compressive strength
- Prevention from mechanical compressive strength
- Dimensional Stability
- Economic solution
- Cold Resistant
These are Roof sheets manufactures by an extrusion process where plastic resin and other additives are combined. The final shape is given when this foam cools and then expands.
There are the following benefits if using this inclusion and these are:
- No leaks
- Lower Heating Cooling Costs
- Environment friendly
Repairing a TPO Roof?
TPO roofs last long, for more than 15-20 years, in which you don’t have to worry much about maintenance. But when this period is over, the house owner or landlord has to take it into consideration to contact a roof repair company to fix any damages or repairs and in some cases complete replacements. The initial signal that your TPO roof is demanding maintenance and repairing service is when your roof starts leaking for the first time.
And finally, you have to perform a roofing inspection.
After the inspection, will give you the estimated repair cost and the material required to get the project completed. All the repairs and material cost will be based on the following factors:
- Size and area of the roof: Cracks, Bents, breaks, leaking, etc. on the whole roof are needed to be repaired. And the cost of it is based on the size and area of the roof. The more the area of the roof, the more the dents and cracks will be.
- Material needed: Material like Polyisocyanurate (Polyiso), Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), and Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) decide the money required for the material. Polyisocyanurate is the most and commonly used material for TPO Roofing and repair.
- Skilled Labor: Ultimately the work will be completed by the certified roofers. The hours of labor and days in which they will finish the work will totally depend on the damage and the area your roof has till now.
- Condition of existing roof: There are many dents and cracks which will be very hard for the average person to spot. The roof repair inspector will be able to find the hidden roof dents, cracks, and faults if any which will possibly create leakage within 1 or 2 years.
- Type of warranty: Different materials and roof repairing services provide different warranties on roof repairing services. This factor also makes difference in cost.
If you need help with your next TPO Roofing project, call the expert Houston TPO Roofing company, Integris Roofing to get a free no-obligation quote!